[socal-piggies] Job listings here: +1

Jathan McCollum jathan at gmail.com
Thu Jun 16 16:17:06 PDT 2011

I really don't see what's wrong with job postings being approved by our
benevolent moderator (Grig).  It's worked for the most part so far.

To channel my inner project manager: What problem are we trying to solve?

Clearly it's to avoid the list being clogged with job postings, I get that.
I'm not convinced, however, we're at the point where we need to shake things
up and branch the list to socal-piggies-nojobs and socal-piggies-jobsplz.

I have to admit, the fact that we've seen a notable increase (however small)
in Python-related job postings is actually a good thing for our community,
email preferences aside.

On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 4:10 PM, Daniel Greenfeld <pydanny at gmail.com> wrote:

> Mel,
>
> Doug is awesome. But he isn't the only recruiter. How do we go about
> only allowing decent guys like Doug in but not allowing others? Should
> we allow people/groups that sponsor Socal Piggies and Python in
> general the ability to post job listings?
>
> I'm not being snarky here, I'm being very serious.
>
> Danny
>
> On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 2:48 PM, Mel Raab <automagc at ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> > Regarding Doug's job posting:  you've eaten his pizza, you've used his
> > conference room, he's always polite and his contributions are
> constructive,
> > are you ever soured by his infrequent posts?  So what's the problem?
> >
> > Regarding other job postings:  you're part of a special interest group to
> > keep up on what's going on.  There haven't been that many job postings
> here,
> > and each gives both an insight and an opportunity.  Even if you're not
> > looking for a job, don't you want to know what's going on?  Don't you
> want
> > to help someone else out who might be looking for a job?  Sure, if the
> > volume increases, maybe the flow has to be redirected away from here and
> be
> > better organized.  Are we really at that point now?
> >
> > Regarding the volume and frequency of continued discussion on this
> matter:
> >  Is there any chance we can get the meandering on job postings off this
> > interest list?  I think there are many venues for this type of discussion
> > when we have such ambivalent feelings and this should not be one of them.
> >  ;)
> >
> > Mel Raab

> --
> 'Knowledge is Power'