[socal-piggies] Hackathon: "June Py-Gloom"

Audrey M Roy audreyr at gmail.com
Wed Jun 8 22:36:55 PDT 2011

I just got the green light from the PyLadies to turn our June 18
hackathon into a joint event with SoCal Piggies (if you want)

Our plan was to charge $15, then for 2-7pm to be project time to work
on whatever you want, alone or in groups.  At 7pm stop for
dinner/drinks (we order in for everyone), and lightning talks.  At 8pm
head out to a nearby bar for Python Ladies' Night 4 (friends and men
very much welcome).

Let me know and I'll update http://pyladies-hackathon.eventbrite.com
with more details and say it's a joint event with SoCal Piggies :)

Audrey

On Wed, Jun 8, 2011 at 11:38 AM, Michael <socalpig at webhippo.net> wrote:
> Audrey,
>
> We can certainly push it or merge it I guess depending on the answer to the
> following questions.
> Are men allowed at PyLadies hackathons? Would we get a chance to work on the
> website project?
>

> On Wed, 8 Jun 2011 10:40:30 -0700, Audrey M Roy <audreyr at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Sorry all for the confusion.  We talked about this the other day at
>> cars.com.  The consensus was that it's too confusing to have 2 groups.
>>
>> Danny & I are merging the newbie intro LA Python group into SoCal
>> Piggies.  Danny will see if there's a way to merge/redirect a group on
>> meetup.com.  And to clarify, the website we worked on the other day
>> was a general one to proudly represent the entire Python community in
>> LA as a whole, including LA Django & PyLadies.
>>
>> On a different note, June Py-Gloom conflicts with the PyLadies
>> hackathon (http://pyladies-hackathon.eventbrite.com/).  Can we change
>> the date or, uh, merge those too?  Michael and Jathan, can we figure
>> this out off-list?
>>
>> Audrey
>>

>> On Wed, Jun 8, 2011 at 10:11 AM, Michael Chean <michael_chean at msn.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Is there a separate mailing list for the LAPython group?  If the
>>> hackathon
>>> is under that group, there seems to be a disconnect, since the skill
>>> level
>>> is intermediate.   I'm a beginner, but got a lot out of the last meeting
>>> at
>>> Disney.
>>> Mike
>>>
>>> DISCLAIMER: The information contained in this e-mail is intended only for
>>> the person or entity to whom it is addressed and may contain
>>> confidential,
>>> privileged and/or attorney/client privileged material. If you have
>>> received
>>> this e-mail in error, then please note that any reviewed retransmission,
>>> copying, distribution or other use of the e-mail is prohibited. If you
>>> are
>>> not an intended recipient, please delete the material from any computer
>>> that
>>> may have it. Thank you for your cooperation. The contents of an
>>> attachment
>>> to this e-mail may contain software viruses, which could damage your
>>> computer system. We cannot accept liability for any damage you may
>>> sustain
>>> as a result of software viruses. You should carry out your own virus
>>> checks
>>> before opening any attachment. Should you have any questions regarding
>>> this
>>> email or its substance, please call BCS Systems at (818)238-9759.
>>>

>>> ________________________________
>>> Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2011 09:15:31 -0700
>>> From: maverick.chang at gmail.com
>>> To: socal-piggies at lists.idyll.org
>>> Subject: Re: [socal-piggies] Hackathon: "June Py-Gloom"
>>>
>>> Ah makes sense now.  LOL.  Ya I just notice that socal piggies actually
>>> has
>>> 265 members and a long history of meetups so it would not make sense to
>>> cancel it for sure...
>>> Lemme know if you want me to add the organizers from the LA py group over
>>> the socal piggies.
>>> Daniel Greenfeld,Audrey, Grig Gheorghiu, Jacob Burch, Paul Hildebrandt
>>>

>>> On Wed, Jun 8, 2011 at 9:07 AM, Grig Gheorghiu <grig.gheorghiu at gmail.com>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>> The L.A. Python group is supposed to be geared more towards beginners.
>>> The SoCal Piggies group is geared towards intermediate/advanced Python
>>> users. It is a bit confusing but it looks like it has worked out so
>>> far. Please don't cancel the SoCal Piggies meetup group.
>>>
>>> Grig

Audrey M. Roy
   http://www.audreymroy.com
    http://www.cartwheelweb.com