[socal-piggies] Packaging Dippy

jathan. jathan at gmail.com
Sat May 1 11:20:37 PDT 2010

Setuptools or distutils are easiest, because they put the power of how the
package is to be installed in the hands of the installer (egg, sdist, RPM,
easy_install, etc). Setuptools is newer and has a few more little perks, but
distutils will get the job done.

Both also allow you to upload your package directly to PyPI as well, which
is very convenient.

Your best bet is to just copy the setup.py from another dist and see how
they've done it.  Here's the setup.py from one of my small projects as a
simple example:

http://bitbucket.org/jathanism/cidrize/src/tip/setup.py

On Sat, May 1, 2010 at 10:07 AM, Steve Wedig <stevewedig at gmail.com> wrote:

> Howdy,
>
> I'm looking to package the code I presented on Thursday (Dippy). It turns
> out, I've never done that before.
>
> What is the current best practice for packaging a python library? Eggs,
> easy setup, or what?
>
> Thanks for the help,
> Steve

Jathan.