[socal-piggies] Any interest in a Haskell introduction for Python programmers talk?

Howard B. Golden hgolden at socal.rr.com
Fri Mar 12 19:35:16 PST 2010

On Friday March 12, 2010, Steve Wedig wrote:

> I've been reading O'Reilly's "real world haskell", and found it to be
>  quite interesting:
> http://www.realworldhaskell.org/

This is a great book. You can read it online where it was beta-tested.
It's also available as a paper book. If you like the online version, I
recommend getting the paper copy, too. It's easier to read IMO.

There are some rough (difficult) spots in the book, and it goes pretty
fast. You might also want to look at these online resources:

* The Haskell Cheatsheet:
http://cheatsheet.codeslower.com/CheatSheet.pdf

* The Haskell Wikibook: http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Haskell

* Graham Hutton's "Programming in Haskell" book website:
http://www.cs.nott.ac.uk/~gmh/book.html
There are links to slides and also video lectures on each chapter by
Erik Meijer of Microsoft. If you are an ACM member, the book is
available in full online from Books24x7.

* Almost everything Haskell can be found by starting at
http://www.haskell.org

* Warning: There is a paper with the _misleading_ title "A Gentle
Introduction to Haskell." It's only gentle if you already know another
functional programming language! (Don't Panic!)

Howard