[socal-piggies] From Will Roscoe's ad-hoc meeting

Dan Stromberg strombrg at gmail.com
Sat Jan 16 10:49:50 PST 2010

Christopher Mahan wrote:

> Chris Mahan
> (818) 671-1709
> http://christophermahan.com/
> chris.mahan at gmail.com <mailto:chris.mahan at gmail.com>
>

> On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 9:30 PM, Dan Stromberg <strombrg at gmail.com
> <mailto:strombrg at gmail.com>> wrote:
>

>     The multiprocessing module makes it pretty easy to communicate
>     between processes.
>

> Is it limited to the same machine or does it work on the lan /
> intranet / internet over HTTP(S)?
I've only written two programs with it, and didn't study more than what
I needed about it, but:
1) I believe sockets are suggested for host to host.  The module has
some sort of socket support I believe (at least the doc talked about
sockets), though what it adds beyond the usual socket module, I have
little idea
2) The module allows you to put scalars and arrays of fundamental types
in shared memory.
3) The module has a Queue datastructure that's intended to be much like
what you'd use with threads

I've used and been happy with #2 and #3 in the multiprocessing module.
I've used sockets for things, but not multiprocessing's socket stuff.