[socal-piggies] Some ideas for group collaboration

Grig Gheorghiu grig.gheorghiu at gmail.com
Fri Jan 15 10:53:23 PST 2010

Spurred by Mel's email, we discussed at our meeting last night various
ways to increase the collaboration in the Piggies group. Here are some
ideas:

* instead of regular presentations, have everybody who comes to the
meeting give a 5 minute presentation on how they're using Python,
favorite Python projects/tools/modules, favorite Open Source projects,
etc. (see recent meme by Tarek Ziade:
http://tarekziade.wordpress.com/2009/12/28/new-years-python-meme/)
* come up with a project we can collaborate on, put it up on Github or
BitBucket (some people said they've seen cases where there was initial
enthusiasm on such group projects, followed by an eventual abandonment
of the project)
* contribute to the wiki (http://socal-piggies.org/scp) by editing
existing pages or creating new pages for ideas for collaboration
(thanks to Chris Mahan for already revamping the front page of the
wiki last night!)
* use the common twitter account @socalpiggies to keep the group
informed (for example when you add a wiki page, or when you stumble
across something interesting in the Python world, or when you found
that perfect cappuccino at that special coffee shop)
* contribute time and talents to existing Python projects who needs
collaborators -- one of the examples given was Titus's pony-build
continuous integration tool (http://github.com/ctb/pony-build)

I think if we follow up even on a couple of these ideas initially it
would still be progress.

For the next meeting (which will be on Feb 11th at the Language Weaver
offices at the Howard Hughes Center -- details to follow) I propose
that we do the 1st item in the list.

Thanks to everybody who came to the meeting last night and shared
their ideas. Please keep this thread alive by adding more ideas -- and
adding them to the wiki wouldn't hurt either ;-)