[socal-piggies] From Will Roscoe's ad-hoc meeting

Grig Gheorghiu grig.gheorghiu at gmail.com
Fri Jan 15 10:06:43 PST 2010

>From Will:

The meetup was small but enjoyable. Here are some tid-bits...

- Avoid threading when possible, use subprocesses and let the kernel
manage the resources. Brian and Chris joked about how they could have
told me "oh, threading is easy, go for it"
- RDBMS are not necessarily the appropriate choice for all
applications. http://bret.appspot.com/entry/how-friendfeed-uses-mysql
- Python is great glue between other programs.
- "Dictionaries Rock" - Brian L.
- No one is going to get rich from open source projects. Its rewards
are social not monetary.
- finding and installing the appropriate dependencies is still a hassle.
- most any type of accepted standard helps everyone

After the meeting I eliminated 15 python files and about half the code
from my project while retaining all its functionality. Granted it
still doesn't do much.

Thanks to Will for sharing this with us.