[socal-piggies] suggestions for more topics and python community development

Mel Raab automagc at ix.netcom.com
Wed Jan 13 20:45:23 PST 2010

I've had a look at what goes on in the python groups in San Francisco
and, to a lesser extent, New York, by looking at their mailings.  They
certainly have lively presenters but they also have something else, a
sense of community, interactions that continue between meetings.  Such
interactions form email threads and can provide assistance (help with
syntax, help with identifying an available package, help with an
approach).  Others can be a sharing of opinions or perspectives, a proud
revelation of what a member is working on, hints at job or work
opportunities, industry gossip, clues to upcoming training
opportunities, connection making, etc.  The threads themselves sometimes
seem like a written version of the type of conversations you might hear
in the hall outside a meeting, except they can be weeks away from the
nearest scheduled meeting.

When I saw the recent posts here about interests in beginning,
intermediate or advanced python training, and a desire for greater
familiarity with Django, Google App Engine and SQLAlchemy, it showed
that we have members at many levels of proficiency.  I think some
members in LA have an affinity for python but feel that revealing
inadequacy would be looked down upon, or might slow the group down.
Maybe that's why there's less community spirit?  On the other hand,
python has been applied to so many disparate areas that it's probably
impossible for any one person to know everything about how python can
(or should) be used.  There certainly are some very intelligent and well
versed members here in LA.  Everyone should be able to contribute
somehow, and everyone, in some way or another, can benefit from
interaction with others.

The structure we have for formal meetings requires a presentation on a
topic of the speaker's choice with most attendees listening.  This puts
a heavy burden on the presenter and can cause strain when no presenter
is forthcoming.  Maybe a consideration for improving the feeling of
community, for engaging the efforts of more people and to create more
opportunities to contribute is to also set aside time at meetings to
come up with and to discuss straw projects.  How would you go about
putting together such-and-such?  What are the relative merits of one
approach or tool over another, especially when viewed in the light of
suggested applications?  What pitfalls can you expect to encounter?
These would not be code writing sessions.  Rather, these would be higher
level discussions on how to approach, on how to think about getting
things done.

As for writing actual code, for those who have the time and inclination,
how about working on a small or interesting project together, perhaps
along the way developing material to present at a subsequent meeting.
Maybe this means additional get togethers of some sort between meetings
to continue work on such projects.  I've even seen a request in another
city to allow one member to shadow some other willing member just to get
an insight into how things get done in the mentor's world.  Except when
writing code, presentations back to the group could highlight the
efficacy of one approach, or the frustration of another, and how these
experiences will effect future efforts.

I recognize these suggestions may be on a lower plane than what is
typically presented.  The inquiries for local training let me know there
is desire out there.  It would be good to set conditions and
opportunities for all members, whatever their backgrounds, to add to the
energy of meetings.  By helping make a sense of community you really
can't be certain whose contribution will land as a gem right in your
lap, but you can be assured more gems will be produced.

Mel Raab