[socal-piggies] Thank you & A little PWC code

jathan. jathan at gmail.com
Tue Feb 16 10:16:41 PST 2010

Hello!

I had a great time at the meeting on Thursday.  It was good to meet
the handful of you that I did, and I really enjoyed the presentations.
 I am definitely looking forward to presenting something about Python
& security in the future.

I wanted to jump in start getting involved with PWC, so I started
studying the Hurl source code and some posts from the authors about
how they used Redis as their datastore.  I had never used Redis
before, so I thought this would be a good opportunity to learn.  The
key-value storage method is quite different than SQL, so this is good
exercise.

I cloned pwc and pushed some changes to my personal repository that
implemented rudimentary functionality.  Here is a basic rundown:

* Stuck with Tornado as web server since it is so easy to use.
* Implemented authentication (no registration yet, so you'll have to
manually create a user in Redis)
* Attached redis and redis-interaction methods to BaseHandler class.
* Session persistence through secret cookie.
* URL fetching and display with highlighting (using Pygments of course)
* "Smart" highlighting based on content-type.  Javascript/JSON

I posted my notes on the process on the wiki for my clone of the repo:
http://bitbucket.org/jathanism/pwc/wiki/Home

And here is the link to the changeset:
http://bitbucket.org/jathanism/pwc/changeset/380e09dd2c84/

I am in no way dictating how things should proceed, but just wanted to
shared what I had tinkered with over the long weekend.

Cheers!

--
Jathan.
-