[socal-piggies] history of MySpace: scaling up

Adam Bernier adam.c.bernier at gmail.com
Sat Feb 13 12:38:53 PST 2010

Thank you for the link, Michael.

And thanks to all for making this past Thursday a fun and highly
informative meeting.

I promised to send some information about running App Engine apps on
other platforms. Apologies for having not included this information in
my presentation.

Below are two options; the second is in beta.  ( These two options
were answers to a recent StackOverflow question:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2215721/migrating-off-appengine/ )

AppScale ( http://code.google.com/p/appscale/ )
AppScale is a platform that allows users to deploy and host their own
Google App Engine applications. It executes automatically over Amazon
EC2 and Eucalyptus as well as Xen and KVM. It has been developed and
is maintained by the RACELab at UC Santa Barbara.

TyphoonAE beta ( http://code.google.com/p/typhoonae/ )
The TyphoonAE project aims at providing a full-featured and productive
serving environment to run Google App Engine (Python) applications. It
delivers the parts for building your own scalable App Engine while
staying compatible with Google's API.
Important note: The current development status is beta. At this point
it is not guaranteed that any GAE application will run completely
error-free on TyphoonAE. So, stay patient please!

Best regards,

On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 7:14 AM, Michael Elkins
<michael.elkins at gmail.com> wrote:
> During the chat after the talks last night, I mentioned reading an
> article discussing the early history of MySpace and the evolution in
> their architecture to scale up as the site became more popular.
>
> http://www.baselinemag.com/index2.php?option=content&task=view&id=3636&pop=1&hide_ads=1&page=0&hide_js=1
>
> me

Adam Bernier
(310) 430-0710