[socal-piggies] Python Job Opening

Malachi Clark malachi at malachi.cc
Wed Aug 18 08:14:21 PDT 2010

Hello everyone,

I hope that this posting is not deemed inappropriate, if so I
apologize in advance.  I attended the first few SCP meetings when they
were held down in OC, but can't really make it up to LA, so you
wonderful people have been having the meetings without me.  :-)  I
wanted to post the job offering to SCP people first before I offered
it to the larger public.  Where the candidate is geographically
located is a fairly minor concern but SCP seems like a great resource
to support, I am local, and sometimes it is nice to meet face to face,
so I will start here.

The work is fairly basic python, using mostly base python.  Some of
the other packages used: a bit of mysql, a bit of wx (on Windows),
some custom packages, logging, py2exe, and some odds and ends here and
there for some of the scripts.  The projects are using 2.6.  The main
project is a set of classes that access data from an accounting system
that is storing data in MySQL.  The side projects are small/basic wx
based exe files that run various reports or actions on the data.  The
backend accounting system being used is being upgraded and the base
classes and side programs that access it need to be ported to the new
system.  The old code for the old system grew over many years, with
many developers, and is a bit of a mess and fairly inconsistent
(coding styles, naming conventions, etc).  Some cleanup will have to
occur.

The initial work is finishing the new, unified, core classes used to
access/manipulate the data, then to move on to each program that will
use the core classes.  Initially there is a need for quite a number of
hours of work, so someone with lots of immediate availability would be
ideal.  For the correct candidate, work can start immediately.  After
the initial successful conversion, there will be reducing need for
work, but ongoing work will continue with new programs that access the
data in different ways.  The project is versioned in bzr and tracked
in Mantis.  Time is of the essence.

The ideal candidate should:
Have a good working knowledge of Python (of course)
Be available immediately
Be able to spend a significant number of hours on the project immediately
Be able to estimate hours/work well

The ideal candidate should have at least a basic familiarity of:
MySQL
mysql for Python
logging
wx and py2exe
bzr
Mantis (used on a basic level)

Please contact me via email if you are interested and I can give you
any additional emails you want.  If you would like to include your
phone number I can call you.  Please email your rate, along with your
qualifications and availability.

Again, I am sorry if the email is not appropriate for the list, it is
being sent to the list with the best of intentions, supporting SCP by
employing one of the members.

Thank you in advance,
Malachi