[socal-piggies] Wiki Modification, Projects, Interaction

Grig Gheorghiu grig at gheorghiu.net
Fri May 6 06:34:45 PDT 2005

--- Steve <nix4ever at earthlink.net> wrote:
>   I was wondering if there are plans to reorder wiki infos, and or
> supplement its functionality, ie perhaps add in a code snippets page,
>
> links page, projects page, otw(off the wall, ie off topic), etc... I
> wasn't sure if I could implement a few extra pages and or changes to
> the
> current layout w/out causing waves.

Steve, feel free to reorganize the Wiki. Right now there's a
hodge-podge of information that could use some straightening up.

> I'm also a new member and i'm
> unsure
> about the current group dynamic, are the meetings business like or
> just
> like hanging out, are laptops brought, switches, wireless etc? I'm
> part
> of various *nix users groups and it seems that they range from the
> purely social to completely business.

So far, we've had wireless Internet connectivity at the 2 meetings in
Newport Beach. People brought their laptops too. We were pretty much
all business, with some social interaction thrown in for good measure
:-)

> Does anyone plan to work on
> projects together, or is this going to be all about presentations?

I threw around at the meetings the idea of working on a common project.
We haven't really talked about it. I was thinking a Web app. would be a
prime candidate for such a project. For the time being, we've been
presenting some tutorials, some of them on Python Web apps. Titus gave
us an introduction to Quixote and Greg McClure is slated to present
CherryPy next time.

> Do you plan to do any python advocacy? I dunno if these questions
have
> come
> up yet, or if they've never been touched upon. I'm just try to figure
>
> out where the general goal of the group lie. I dunno if i'll be able
> make the next meeting, so for the time being I plan to use the
> mailinglist and wiki for group interaction

The mailing list and the Wiki are good places to interact, but I
haven't had much success myself in engaging people to actually
contribute. We haven't had a huge turnout at meetings either, but I
hope this will change as we hop from location to location.

Note that I also created a team blog at
<http://socal-piggies.blogspot.com>. One of its purposes is to act as a
repository for short snippets of code that have been found useful by
the Piggies. But it can also easily act as an advocacy tool. I'll send
you an invitation to join the blog.

> I'm looking
> forward to a bit more python interaction.

Me too :-) I'm glad you're fired up and ready to contribute. I hope
your energy and enthusiasm will propagate throughout the group.