[socal-piggies] Introduction

Grig Gheorghiu grig at gheorghiu.net
Thu Feb 17 13:45:24 PST 2005

Hi, Jay

Once again, welcome to the group. I too am fortunate to be paid for
using Python -- I work as a tester and I write all my automated tests
in Python. We used to have a test framework written in Perl, but I
started porting everything over to Python more than a year ago.

I use Python for:

1) creation of large data sets to be used as inputs in my testing
(mostly cross-platform, but also very specific things like Exchange
folders/messages, Oracle/SQL Server databases, etc.)
2) the actual test framework, which automates running and validating
the test results (it exercises binaries which are written in C++ or
Java)
3) distributing and running the tests on multiple machines/OSes and
collecting the results in a central place (via STAF/STAX)
4) running acceptance tests (via PyFIT/FitNesse) -- we just started on
this one

As you say, it would be instructive to see what other people in the
group are using Python for.

I hope you'll be able to make at least the meetings that we will (or
might) have in L.A. (although nothing has been set in stone yet).

Grig