[pygr-notify] Issue 134 in pygr: UCSCEnsemblInterface fails with Genome doesn't exist error

pygr at googlecode.com pygr at googlecode.com
Thu Jun 23 11:34:06 PDT 2011

Owner: pygr-bug... at googlegroups.com
Labels: Type-Defect Priority-Critical

New issue 134 by cjlee... at gmail.com: UCSCEnsemblInterface fails with Genome
doesn't exist error
http://code.google.com/p/pygr/issues/detail?id=134

What steps will reproduce the problem?
1. create a UCSCEnsemblInterface object following the steps in the Ensembl
interface tutorial

Instead of getting an interface object, it raises an exception,
"Genome hg18 doesn't exist or has got no Ensembl data at UCSC"

This problem recently arose due to changes in UCSC's database.  The 0.8.2
code assumed that a given UCSC dataset identifier (e.g. "hg18") would be
associated with only a single row in the trackVersion table, but recently
UCSC added multiple such rows.  This caused the pygr 0.8.2 code to fail
when attempting to look up the right identifier for linking a UCSC dataset
to a specific Ensembl dataset, reporting an error message like "Genome hg18
doesn't exist or has got no Ensembl data at UCSC".  My fix simply tries
each of the rows associated with the specified UCSC dataset, until it
successfully makes a connection to an Ensembl dataset.  This fix will not
affect anything outside of the Ensembl interface, and passes all our
Ensembl + other tests.  I pushed this to the master branch on github for
anyone who needs this prior to a next release of Pygr.