[pygr-notify] Issue 62 in pygr: Shorter notifications, messages

codesite-noreply at google.com codesite-noreply at google.com
Wed Jan 14 15:25:03 PST 2009

Owner: istvan.albert
Labels: Type-Enhancement Priority-Medium Usability

New issue 62 by istvan.albert: Shorter notifications, messages
http://code.google.com/p/pygr/issues/detail?id=62

Some notifications that are generated by pygr can be long multiline
instructions that also try to educate the user on how to avoid getting the
warning. There are flags in place to reduce the verbosity, yet that adds to
the overhead of having to both implement and maintain code that sets the
notifications, as well as remember how to set the verbosity levels.

I agree with the sentiment of trying to educate users, doing it from the
source code can be limiting and often annoying. I suggest replacing the
long messages with shorter ones that describe the problem without being
overly verbose. Then on a documentation page we can describe in more detail
what the warnings are about and how to avoid them.

At the same time using a logger we can globally alter the level of messages
that will get displayed without having to keep track of implementation
details.