[pygr-notify] Issue 49 in pygr: Initial delay for membership checking in seqdb.BlastDB

codesite-noreply at google.com codesite-noreply at google.com
Thu Dec 11 09:34:21 PST 2008

Updates:
	Cc: cjlee112

Comment #2 on issue 49 by cjlee112: Initial delay for membership checking
in seqdb.BlastDB
http://code.google.com/p/pygr/issues/detail?id=49

OK, I have a better idea.  We can simply restrict this reindexing behavior
to the
specific operation of looking up IDs during a BLAST search.  We only
implemented this
behavior to deal with BLAST's buggy mangling of sequence IDs, so there's no
need to
apply it in other situations.  If it isn't be applied at any other time,
looking up
an ID that isn't in the database will simply fail (KeyError), with no delay.

Questions:
- should we do the initial reindexing at the same time as the formatdb
step?  This
might reduce user annoyance, since users expect formatdb to take some time
to reindex
the database.

- Should we print out a warning message explaining that we're reindexing
the BLAST
database?  This might also reduce user annoyance / confusion, by clearing
up the
mystery of "why is Pygr so slow?".

- Should we allow the user to turn off reindexing (which means that BLAST
will not
work on NCBI databases with "mangled blob" IDs)?

- Can we auto-detect whether reindexing is needed (i.e. detect whether the
sequence
IDs are blobs that blastall will mangle?).  Then we could dispense with it
completely
on non-NCBI databases (or more specifically, databases whose IDs blastall
won't mangle).