[ged] Spring GED journal club kicks off next week

Likit Preeyanon preeyano at msu.edu
Wed Jan 19 06:08:11 PST 2011

Hi, guys

I'd like to announce that GED journal club will be at 12pm on Wednesday (Sorry Jacob) and it will start next week.
I have already drafted the schedule of all speakers below. Please let me know if you cannot make it so I will switch you.

Likit 1/26
QP 2/2
Jaron 2/9
Neem 2/16
Adina 2/23
Jason 3/2
Elijah 3/16
Owen 3/23
Rose 3/30

***Remember: the article has to be sent out at least a week in advance or the journal club will be cancelled.***

When send out your selected paper via email, please follow this format if possible. Try not to attach a PDF file in the email.
The format is recommended by Titus.

For the first week, I will talk about this paper:

http://www.nature.com/icb/journal/vaop/ncurrent/full/icb201083a.html

Note or abstract:
MxA is an antiviral protein that inhibit the replication of many RNA viruses.
However, Taiwanese scientists have shown that HSV-1 virus can induce the expression of MxA isoform (varMxA) that facilitate its replication.
The antagonistic function of two isoforms of the same gene is very interesting.
This finding supports my hypothesis that alternative splicing of host mRNA can be induced by pathogens and it plays a crucial role in the immune response to viruses.

Cheers.