[emb] Computational natural selection (EvoNet's FP6 Project Whiteboard)

Alastair Channon alastairchannonnet at yahoo.com
Tue May 28 00:59:56 PDT 2002

Members of the EMBody mailing list may be interested in an outline idea
"Computational natural selection" that I have just submitted to EvoNet's
FP6 Project Whiteboard.  See http://146.176.162.36/fp6/idea.asp?ID=79

It is my opinion (which I expressed in my talk at the ALife7 Workshop on
the Coevolution of Brains and Bodies) that the evolution of morphology
and behaviour will play a major part in this emerging field.  Brain-body
coevolution can both help to make the natural selection of AI-Life
open-ended, and aid in the observation (identification and analysis) of
emergent behaviours.

The purpose of the whiteboard is to group together research ideas which
EvoNet will feed to the European Commission as several general
Expressions of Interest.  These will help define
the scope and focus of calls for proposals to be published this autumn
as part of the Sixth Framework Programme, which includes substantial
funding for research projects integrated by
Networks of Excellence. Whilst most of this funding will go to
Europeans, there is also scope for funding for non-EU participants in
integrated projects.

Hopefully you will be interested enough to indicate your interest in
this research idea, using a link on the above web page, before 7 June.

Best wishes,
Alastair.

--
Dr Alastair Channon
Senior Lecturer in Computer and Software Engineering