[ec2m] Physics engines

Taylor, Tim T.Taylor at mail1.tay.ac.uk
Thu Sep 20 16:40:05 PDT 2001

Okay Colm, point taken! We certainly haven't ruled out
the possibility of developing an existing open source
product. The main criteria are that it should be
efficient and stable (hence the suggestion of using
Featherstone over more general approaches), but also
be able to simulate multiple articulated bodies
(preferably LOTS of them!) concurrently (with collision
detection) - which many existing engines (e.g.
DynaMechs) cannot cope with.

The idea is also to develop a product which ALife
researchers would find very easy to use and practical.
By "with evolutionary algorithms in mind" I meant that
we would also develop an API/communication protocols
to allow simulations to be initialised and controlled
over a network, so that it would be very easy to write
a distributed GA which would farm out simulations to
multiple computers and collect the results. This would
likely be built on top of an exisiting parallel
computing protocol such as MPI or PVM.

Would this be a complete waste of time?

Tim