[dib-training] Workshop Announcements: Sphinx, Webhooks & Bitbucket (2/29) and Amazon Web Services (3/7)

Jessica Mizzi jessica.mizzi at gmail.com
Mon Feb 22 11:44:36 PST 2016

Workshop announcements: Sphinx, Webhooks, & Bitbucket and Amazon Web
Services and

1. Sphinx, Webhooks, and Bitbucket

Who: Adelaide Rhodes
When: February 29th, 2016
Times: 9:15 am - 12:25 pm
Where: DSI Space, Shields Library, UC Davis Campus

This workshop will cover using webhooks with Bitbucket to create Web sites
that automatically update when you make changes in a Bitbucket repository.
Sphinx and reStructuredText will be used to build the underlying Web site.

This workshop will be taught remotely and broadcast to UC Davis via Google
Hangouts. It will also be streaming on YouTube.

More at:
http://dib-training.readthedocs.org/en/pub/2016-02-29-sph-webh-bitb-lr.html

Register at:
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/sphinx-webhooks-and-bitbucket-half-day-workshop-tickets-20041061354

If you register for this workshop but cannot attend, please release
your spot on EventBrite or contact Jessica Mizzi (jessica.mizzi at gmail.com).
If you register but do not attend (which takes up a spot that could have
gone to someone on our waitlist!), you may not be able to register for
future workshops.

2. Amazon Web Services

Who: Titus Brown
When: March 7, 2016
Times: 9:15am-12:15pm PST
Where: DSI Space, Shield Library, UC Davis campus

Amazon Web Services is one of a number of cloud computing services that
offers “rental compute” - a way to buy compute time as you need it.  This
is an increasingly common way for scientists to scale up their work, and it
also has a number of benefits for reproducibility and teaching.

This tutorial will introduce people to using Amazon Web Services to run
programs on a Linux computer rented through their Web interface (“EC2”).
I’ll demonstrate the basic process, discuss different options and pricing
schemes, and cover the use of AWS disk storage. I’ll also demonstrate S3
(Simple Storage Service) which is a way to store and distribute large files.

Attendees will need to pay their own AWS costs - it will be less than $5
total for the workshop. You will need a reasonably modern computer and
there will be some software to pre-install (but not much).

This workshop will be taught locally at UC Davis and broadcast via Google
Hangouts on Air/YouTube for those who wish to participate remotely.

This workshop is open to everyone, including graduate students,
postdocs, staff, faculty, and community members.

More at:
http://dib-training.readthedocs.org/en/pub/2016-03-03-aws-br.html

Register at:
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/amazon-web-services-tickets-21073317861