[cwn] Attn: Development Editor, Latest OCaml Weekly News

Alan Schmitt alan.schmitt at polytechnique.org
Tue Jan 8 00:09:01 PST 2019

Hello

Here is the latest OCaml Weekly News, for the week of January 01 to 08,
2019.

Table of Contents
─────────────────

Opam 2 ppa available for Ubuntu Trusty/Xenial/Bionic/Cosmic now
Interesting OCaml Articles
opam 2.0.2!
Other OCaml News
Old CWN

Opam 2 ppa available for Ubuntu Trusty/Xenial/Bionic/Cosmic now
═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════

  Archive:
  <https://discuss.ocaml.org/t/opam-2-ppa-available-for-ubuntu-trusty-xenial-bionic-cosmic-now/3122/1>

Anil Madhavapeddy announced
───────────────────────────

  After a couple of requests, I’ve refreshed the opam2 PPA
  infrastructure to make binary packages available for more variants of
  Ubuntu for the latest stable release of opam (2.0.2). The new support
  for Ubuntu Trusty and Xenial builds means that the ppa can be used
  with Travis CI for non-container based builds.  Travis does not
  currently support Bionic, and so Xenial is the latest available there.

  In order to support these older distros, I've also packaged up
  Bubblewrap for the older Ubuntu distributions.  This is of course an
  unofficial backport, so let me know if you run into any problems with
  it.

  The packages currently sit in my PPA tree at [avsm/ppa-opam], and can
  be used by simple adding:

  ┌────
  │ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:avsm/ppa
  │ sudo apt-get update
  │ sudo apt-get -y install opam
  └────

  to your CI scripts.

  Sources to the scripts and more information in the README:

  <https://github.com/avsm/opam2-ppa>

  If anyone would like to help with including opam 2 in more upstream
  distributions, please [refer to the distributions wiki ] and pick your
  favourite OS :slight_smile:

[avsm/ppa-opam] <https://launchpad.net/~avsm/+archive/ubuntu/ppa>

[refer to the distributions wiki ]
<https://github.com/ocaml/opam/wiki/Distributions>

Interesting OCaml Articles
══════════════════════════

  Archive:
  <https://discuss.ocaml.org/t/interesting-ocaml-articles/1867/38>

Yotam Barnoy announced
──────────────────────

  @ostera has started live-casting programming sessions on major OCaml
  libraries, written in Reason syntax (which is easy enough for OCamlers
  to understand). Highly recommended!

  His twitch videos are [here]. Make sure to show up and chat for his
  live streams!  For posterity (since twitch deletes old videos), his
  youtube channel is [here].

  I'd love to see more of this kind of thing from the community – new
  users are much more likely to want to watch a fun programming session
  than to read something.

[here] <https://www.twitch.tv/ostera/videos>

[here] <https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8318qJJvq1VjFVXtc75J9Q/videos>

opam 2.0.2!
═══════════

  Archive: <https://discuss.ocaml.org/t/ann-opam-2-0-2/3046/12>

Perry E. Metzger announced
──────────────────────────

  MacPorts is now updated to opam 2.0.2; sorry for the delay.

Other OCaml News
════════════════

From the ocamlcore planet blog
──────────────────────────────

  Here are links from many OCaml blogs aggregated at [OCaml Planet].

  • [How configurator reads C constants]
  • [Using TLA+ to understand Xen vchan]

[OCaml Planet] <http://ocaml.org/community/planet/>

[How configurator reads C constants]
<https://tarides.com/blog.html#2019-01-03-how-configurator-reads-c-constants>

[Using TLA+ to understand Xen vchan]
<http://roscidus.com/blog/blog/2019/01/01/using-tla-plus-to-understand-xen-vchan/>

Old CWN
═══════

  If you happen to miss a CWN, you can [send me a message] and I'll mail
  it to you, or go take a look at [the archive] or the [RSS feed of the
  archives].

  If you also wish to receive it every week by mail, you may subscribe
  [online].

  [Alan Schmitt]

[send me a message] <mailto:alan.schmitt at polytechnique.org>

[the archive] <http://alan.petitepomme.net/cwn/>