[cwn] Attn: Development Editor, Latest Caml Weekly News

Alan Schmitt alan.schmitt at polytechnique.org
Tue Oct 8 05:31:25 PDT 2013

Hello,

Here is the latest Caml Weekly News, for the week of October 01 to 08, 2013.

1) OASIS help - libraries with mixed C/C++ part
2) Feedback on the ocaml.org redesign and logo
3) QCheck 0.1
4) Other Caml News

1) OASIS help - libraries with mixed C/C++ part
Archive: <https://sympa.inria.fr/sympa/arc/caml-list/2013-10/msg00052.html>
** Micha? Kurcewicz asked and Philippe Veber replied:

> I am migrating some old code from OCamlMakefile to a oasis/ocamlbuild
> based build process. While the migration is generally straightforward, I
> have encountered some problems with a library where the C part includes
> mixed C/C++ code. Putting the C++ files into CSources: in _oasis does not
> seem to work, the files are not even copied over to the _build directory,
> changing the file extensions and adding some options (-x c++) also does not
> solve the problem. What is recommended way to build libraries that include
> a mixed C/C++ part using OASIS/ocamlbuild?

for an example you can have a look at a binding [1] of the Irrlicht 3d
engine (for the record my fork [2] currently has a small addition) or a
binding [3] I started (but never got very far) of the Ogre3D library. The
latter shows how to put the C++ files in a subdirectory, which was not that
easy to obtain.

HTH,
  Philippe.

[1] <https://github.com/antegallya/OCaml-Irrlicht>
[2] <https://github.com/pveber/OCaml-Irrlicht>
[3] <https://github.com/pveber/ogrillon>

** ygrek also replied:

One also needs to link with stdc++
The following should work

  CCopt: -g -x c++ -O2 -Wextra -Wstrict-overflow=5 -fno-strict-aliasing -Wfatal-errors
  CClib: -lstdc++

2) Feedback on the ocaml.org redesign and logo
Archive: <https://sympa.inria.fr/sympa/arc/caml-list/2013-10/msg00057.html>
** Amir Chaudhry said:

Just a brief reminder that I'd still like feedback on the OCaml logo and
ocaml.org redesign work (see previous message below).

I'm continuing the discussion on the infrastructure list [1] about the
redesign and how we migrate the current site to the new design. If anyone
would like to join in please do so over there.

[1] <http://lists.ocaml.org/pipermail/infrastructure/2013-October/000304.html>

3) QCheck 0.1
Archive: <https://sympa.inria.fr/sympa/arc/caml-list/2013-10/msg00058.html>
** Simon Cruanes announced:

I'm happy to announce the first release of a small QuickCheck
implementation for OCaml, named `QCheck`. It consists in writing
invariants as function t -> bool for some type t, and then checking that
the invariant holds on randomly generated instances of t.

QCheck is designed so that writing tests is as easy as possible[1],
especially for Arbitrary instances (the part where you generate random
values of a type) where it provides many combinators.

The library requires OCaml >= 4.00.1, and is available under the BSD
license on opam via:

    $ opam install qcheck

You can find documentation at:
<http://cedeela.fr/~simon/software/qcheck/QCheck.html>
source code at:
<https://github.com/c-cube/qcheck>
and some explanations here:
<http://cedeela.fr/quickcheck-for-ocaml.html>

4) Other Caml News
** From the ocamlcore planet blog:

Thanks to Alp Mestan, we now include in the Caml Weekly News the links to the
recent posts from the ocamlcore planet blog at <http://planet.ocaml.org/>.

FPDays 2013 Real World OCaml tutorial in Cambridge:
  <http://anil.recoil.org/2013/10/08/fpdays-real-world-ocaml.html>

Announcing CCSS 1.4:
  <http://nleyten.com/post/2013/10/07/Announcing-CCSS-1.4>

Hugo-a-go-go:
  <http://scattered-thoughts.net/blog/2013/10/06/hugo-a-go-go/>

Using Travis for secure deployments with SSH:
  <http://anil.recoil.org/2013/10/06/travis-secure-ssh-integration.html>

SSL up again, special thanks to Gabriel Kerneis:
  <https://forge.ocamlcore.org/forum/forum.php?forum_id=887>

Uucd 1.0.0 and Uunf 0.9.2:
  <http://erratique.ch/software>

Old cwn