[cwn] Attn: Development Editor, Latest Caml Weekly News

Alan Schmitt alan.schmitt at polytechnique.org
Tue Oct 1 07:11:22 PDT 2013

Hello,

Here is the latest Caml Weekly News, for the week of September 24 to October 01, 2013.

1) Feedback on the ocaml.org redesign and logo
2) Enhanced OCaml Documentation 4.01
3) Gg 0.8.0 and Vg 0.8.0
4) otags reloaded 4.01.1 for OCaml 4.01
5) meetup OCaml-Pairs (OUPS), mercredi 9 octobre à l'IRILL
6) embedding js_of_ocaml output?
7) OUnit v2.0.0
8) Thread behaviour
9) Esterel Technologies is looking for an Ocaml SW developer in Toulouse (CDI)
10) equivalent checking of ocaml program?
11) LablGtk 2.18.0 and LablGL 1.05
12) Uucd 1.0.0 & Uunf 0.9.2
13) Other Caml News

1) Feedback on the ocaml.org redesign and logo
Archive: <https://sympa.inria.fr/sympa/arc/caml-list/2013-09/msg00326.html>
** Amir Chaudhry asked:

I've just put up a blog post asking for feedback on the ocaml.org redesign
[1]. I'm specifically interested in getting feedback on (1) the second
iteration of the OCaml Logo and (2) the new design for ocaml.org. See the
blog post for more information. We're tracking feedback via issues [2] and
there are some known issues already listed there.

[1] <http://amirchaudhry.com/ocamlorg-request-for-feedback/>
[2] <https://github.com/ocamllabs/sandbox-ocaml.org/issues?state=open>

2) Enhanced OCaml Documentation 4.01
Archive: <https://sympa.inria.fr/sympa/arc/caml-list/2013-09/msg00329.html>
** Hendrik Tews announced:

I would like to announce

                 The Enhanced OCaml Documentation
                          Version 4.01
   available via <http://www.askra.de/software/ocaml-doc/4.01>

This version of the OCaml manual enhances the original html
version in the following way:

- Changes (wrt version 4.00) are tagged with icons and color
- an additional appendix contains all grammar rules

As always, the enhanced documentation reveals some points that
have not been mentioned in the official 4.01 announcement from
Damien Doligez. This time, the most important such point is that
the documentation approves what long-term OCaml hackers have been
using for years to improve their code. You can use an infix
symbol as for-loop-variable:

   for (+) = ... to ... do ... done

will (mostly) word as (un)expected!
;-)

3) Gg 0.8.0 and Vg 0.8.0
Archive: <https://sympa.inria.fr/sympa/arc/caml-list/2013-09/msg00330.html>
** Daniel Bünzli announced:

It's my pleasure to announce the first releases of:

* Gg, a module providing basic types for computer graphics
* Vg, a declarative 2D vector graphics library.

More on these and their aim at the end of the message.

My thanks to Edwin Török who contributed the color conversion functions
in Gg and helped with color science questions.

Besides, while I can trace my work on Vg to at least 2008 it would
still remain unreleased without the sponsorship of both Citrix Systems R&D
and OCaml Labs. Many thanks to them and to the inspiring OCaml
Cambridgian atmosphere.

Comments are welcome,

Daniel

# Note on installing

Once opam 1.1 is released, the packages will be in opam's repository
and can be installed with:

  opam install gg vg    # (SVG renderer only)
  opam install gg uutf otfm js_of_ocaml vg    # (all renderers).

If you are eager to use the software and have the opam 1.1 beta installed
you can get them through my unreleased software repo:

  opam repo add erratique-u <http://erratique.ch/software/opam/unreleased>
  opam upgrade
  opam install gg uutf otfm js_of_ocaml vg

these packages will be removed from erratique-u once they are in the
opam repository.

# Gg

Gg is an OCaml module providing basic types for computer graphics. It
defines types and functions for floats, vectors, points, sizes,
matrices, quaternions, axis-aligned boxes, colors, color spaces, and
raster data.

Gg is made of a single, independent, module and distributed under the
BSD3 license.

The aim of Gg is to provide an efficient, immutable, C friendly, type
infrastructure for computer graphics programming. It's neither a
general purpose linear algebra package nor a computational geometry
library. I hope it can serve as a minimal common ground for other
graphics libraries to exchange data without having to depend on each
other.