[bip] PyCogent alive and well

Gavin Huttley gavin.huttley at anu.edu.au
Tue May 26 18:06:51 PDT 2009

hi all,

Noticed some queries regarding the 'health' of PyCogent.

The project is very much alive and well, with very active development
from a number of labs across the globe. We are always open to input
from others so feel free to contact myself or Rob Knight with queries,
etc .. (our emails are on the open access publication at http://genomebiology.com/2007/8/8/R171)
.

Note that the best way to report bugs, feature or documentation
requests is through the project Tracker on the sourceforge project
page (http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=186234). It is monitored!

If you want the latest and greatest, grab the svn repo (instructions
at http://pycogent.wiki.sourceforge.net/).

One area where we have been lax is documentation. The good news is
that we have ported the documentation to Sphinx (changes in the
repository version) and are now significantly extending it. So queries
about application controllers (which I just found at bip) are now
largely addressed in the repository version of the project
documentation.

More generally, I apologise to all those who have had trouble in
finding the documentation. We are actively working on improving this
situation by actually updating the documentation available on the web
rather than just have it buried in the repository.

Finally, a request for input. We are currently working on an extensive
cookbook. If users have specific queries regarding what they'd like to
see in it, please let us know!

cheers,

Gavin Huttley