[bip] Announcing PEBL (and asking for assistance)

C. Titus Brown ctb at msu.edu
Tue Jun 17 17:19:18 PDT 2008

On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 05:34:41PM -0400, Abhik Shah wrote:
-> Hi,
->   I've been working on pebl (Python Environment for Bayesian Learning)
-> for the past couple of years.  It's a python library for structure
-> learning of Bayesian networks from data and prior knowledge.  I've
-> implemented all features for a 1.0 release and have finalized the API.
->  It has many unique features not found in any other package (python or
-> not), including:
->
-> * ability to handle interventional data
-> * exact and heuristic methods for handling missing values and hidden variables
-> * nice AJAX-y html reports
-> * almost-transparent parallel processing on multiple platforms (XGrid,
-> IPython1 and Amazon EC2)
->     * this is useful when dealing with many hidden variable
->
-> Pebl includes sphinx-generated documentation and 200+ unittests.  I
-> think it's ready for prime time but would appreciate an informal code
-> review (or just comments) from this group.  Installation is currently
-> a bit painful but I'm working on improving that. Same goes for the
-> quality of the documentation.

Hi, Abhik,

the tutorial is cute, but completely uninformative!  What format is the
data in, for example? What does the analysis actually do??  What is the
output?  Can it solve real problems (and what would be an example of
one, and wouldn't that be a great tutorial instead?)

However, to find out the answer to these questions I would be happy to
have you come give a presentation at MSU, if you're interested.  E-mail
me off-list if so.

cheers,
C. Titus Brown, ctb at msu.edu