[bip] BLAST and FASTA performance

C. Titus Brown ctb at msu.edu
Mon Jul 21 16:51:32 PDT 2008

On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 12:39:53AM +0100, Gregory Jordan wrote:
-> Coincidentally, I've lately had a look at some data for these exact two
-> trends (figure attached, ignore the bottommost points).
->
-> The EMBL-bank database has doubled roughly every 17 months, but processor
-> speed (or, more precisely, transistor counts in Intel PC processors) has
-> been doubling every 24 months. Back in 1970, we had a cool 1-to-1
-> nucleotide-to-transistor ratio; now it's nearly 1000-to-1.
->
-> Of course, the only reasonable conclusion from these trends is that we are
-> drawing ourselves ever nearer to an inexorable suffocation under our own
-> overwhelming mass of data; or, more alliteratively, that these apocalyptic
-> asphyxiations are approaching at an alarmingly accelerating rate!

454.

Solexa.

SOLID.

Helicos.