[bip] BLAST and FASTA performance

Gregory Jordan greg at ebi.ac.uk
Mon Jul 21 16:39:53 PDT 2008

Coincidentally, I've lately had a look at some data for these exact two
trends (figure attached, ignore the bottommost points).

The EMBL-bank database has doubled roughly every 17 months, but processor
speed (or, more precisely, transistor counts in Intel PC processors) has
been doubling every 24 months. Back in 1970, we had a cool 1-to-1
nucleotide-to-transistor ratio; now it's nearly 1000-to-1.

Of course, the only reasonable conclusion from these trends is that we are
drawing ourselves ever nearer to an inexorable suffocation under our own
overwhelming mass of data; or, more alliteratively, that these apocalyptic
asphyxiations are approaching at an alarmingly accelerating rate!

;)

greg