[bip] Pygr Searching

Titus Brown titus at caltech.edu
Fri Jan 18 10:36:29 PST 2008

On Fri, Jan 18, 2008 at 09:10:52AM -0500, Paul Davis wrote:
-> I've just found Pygr and it looks absolutely brilliant. After reading
-> about it I'm left with a lingering question: Is it possible to perform
-> non-location based searches. Specifically, I'm wondering if anyone has
-> plugged a full text indexing system into it.
->
-> I haven't seen and docs about doing such queries, but I from what I
-> have read, it would appear that adding Sphinx searching [1] would be
-> fairly straightforward. Tsearch2 [2] would also be a possibility if
-> all the textual data being indexed resided in a postgres database,
-> which from what I've seen isn't necessarily the case.
->
-> Any how, its nice to find more biology people that haven't been
-> hypnotized by the other voodoo P-language.
->
-> [1] http://www.sphinxsearch.com/
-> [2] http://www.sai.msu.su/~megera/postgres/gist/tsearch/V2/

Hi Paul,

full text searching on what?  There's no text annotation system built
into pygr ;)

I would add sqlite into your list of search tech; it's apparently got
quite a good search engine now.

cheers,