[bip] welcome!

James Taylor james at jamestaylor.org
Mon Jul 30 08:18:39 PDT 2007

My focus is mostly on vertebrate comparative genomics, I'm primarily
interested in how regulatory information is encoded in genomes,
(particularly vertebrates). Getting a handle on this leads to a
variety of research directions, and I tend to use Python in
everything I do since it is both fast to implement with and very
powerful. I'm also interested in interface design and approaches for
easily making powerful computational science tools available to
experimental biologists. My public Python projects include:

   bx-python: some useful modules for large-scale genomics /
comparative genomics (http://bx-python.trac.bx.psu.edu/)

   ESPERR and the Regulatory Potential score: methods for learning
sequence / evolutionary signals from multiple genome alignments,
chiefly focused on identification of vertebrate cis-regulatory
modules. (http://www.bx.psu.edu/projects/esperr/)

   Galaxy: A web application for scientific analysis integrating a
variety of tools and data-sources. (http://g2.trac.bx.psu.edu/)

I think this list is a great idea, and I'm interested in discussing
how to share "infrastructure" in the biology-in-python community.
Particularly, the merits of and problems with monolithic packages
like biopython, and alternative models (e.g. how can we be more agile
while still sharing common interfaces where sensible). But that is a
discussion for another day...

-- jt