[bip] License - was Re: domain name for community site

Andrew Dalke dalke at dalkescientific.com
Thu Aug 23 14:15:00 PDT 2007

On Aug 23, 2007, at 8:36 PM, Chris Lasher wrote:
> I, too, like the CC Attribution 3.0 Unported license except for
> this clause:
   ..
> We have to manually specify how to attribute the work? Does writing a
> blanket attribution clause to a community-contribution work, or do we
> have to create a derivative license to do that?

See that part where I said "impenetrable"?  ;)

Hmm, I hadn't seen this before, from the FAQ at
   http://wiki.creativecommons.org/FAQ

    Can I use a Creative Commons license for software?
    Creative Commons licenses are not intended to apply to software.
They

    should not be used for software. We strongly encourage you to use
one

    of the very good software licenses available today. The licenses
made

    available by the Free Software Foundation or listed at the Open
Source

    Initiative should be considered by you if you are licensing software

    or software documentation. Unlike our licenses -- which do not make

    mention of source or object code -- these existing licenses were

    designed specifically for use with software.

    Creative Commons has “wrapped” some free software/open source
licenses

    with its Commons Deed and metadata if you wish to use these licenses

    and still take advantage of the Creative Commons human-readable code

    and Creative Commons customized search engine technology. You can

    find more details here.

"here" is
   http://creativecommons.org/license/cc-gpl

Me, I think straight MIT/X license is the way to go.
   http://www.opensource.org/licenses/mit-license.php

or compare to the BSD license
   http://www.opensource.org/licenses/bsd-license.php
which is essentially the same but with an explicit "no
endorsement" clause.

				Andrew
				dalke at dalkescientific.com