[bip] [Fwd: Re: domain name for community site]

Andrew Dalke dalke at dalkescientific.com
Wed Aug 22 01:35:56 PDT 2007

On Aug 21, 2007, at 10:29 PM, Erich Schwarz wrote:
>     I vote for:   bio.scipy.org
>
> on the grounds that it's easier to say, remember, and intuitively
> make sense of than biologyinpython.org.  It also lets us use the
> coveted 'bio' cognomen without immediately having to take over
> biopython.org "not with the sword only, but the battleaxe" [1].
> [1] Free Greeks to Medizing Greeks, ca. 480 B.C.

I'd never heard that reference before and the only thing I could
find was from http://www.jerrypournelle.com/archives/archivesmail/
mail11.html
in a context that I don't follow.  Who would the Persians be?

In any case, there are a decent number of people on the Biopython
mailing list interested in the same things that biology-in-python
is interested in, so sending a email that way would be friendly and
might bring in some good people.  I don't think there are any
staunch defenders of the faith.

Also, and this is something I mentioned to Titus last year, I
based the Biopython license on the BSD/MIT license specifically
so that other people can grab useful code without licensing hassles.
I want other groups to start, and I don't want everyone to have
to do everything from scratch each time.

There are some useful parts in the existing code base which can be
extracted with only minor changes, and others which might be used as
a source of complementary insight.  (That last bit is part of my
effort to encourage code review.  :)

				Andrew
				dalke at dalkescientific.com