[bip] agile software development

Titus Brown titus at caltech.edu
Sun Aug 5 16:03:51 PDT 2007

[ ... ]

Some good references but it's getting increasingly tangential to
*biology* as opposed to software development ;)

-> So this is my challenge.  Take a biology package you use
-> (like pygr, or biopython, or corebio) but which you don't
-> write, review a module, and see how you might improve it.
-> You might even send in patches, but I'm more hoping for
-> now in getting people to look at other code bases.

This is a great idea.

The BioPython BLAST parsing source code that I looked at was a total
writeoff, but that was years ago.  I don't think that project is very
active any more, right?

I've done a short review for corebio, but I'm not sure what happened to
the project; the main developer dropped off the face of the planet.

I've done that for pygr, and I'm starting to work more on pygr and
pygr-derived code over the next few weeks.  As you point out, it's
*very* difficult to overcome the short-term code needs in favor of
learning a new system, especially when Python lets you build one-off
temporary solutions so damned quickly!

cheers,