[alife] MSc/PhD in the Evolution of Language and Cognition

Simon Kirby simon at ling.ed.ac.uk
Wed Feb 11 11:08:38 PST 2004

          MSc/PhD in the EVOLUTION OF LANGUAGE & COGNITION
              One year taught Masters & PhD programme

                    University of Edinburgh, UK

What is it that makes us human? How did our brains evolve? What are the
origins of human language? Why do we think the way we do? What are the
mechanisms of biological, cultural and linguistic evolution?

The University of Edinburgh is introducing a new Postgraduate Programme
in the Evolution of Language and Cognition. Students will tackle the key
questions that are at the heart of the recent renaissance in the
scientific study of the origins and evolution of human language and
cognition.

The programme consists of two components: an interdisciplinary 1 year
taught Masters degree, and a supervised PhD. Students will apply for one
of the other degree, depending on background and experience. The MSc
year can be used as preparation for the PhD.

Human evolution is a topic for cognitive scientists, psychologists,
linguists, archaeologists, anthropologists, biologists, and computer
scientists. Because of this, the postgraduate programme will suit
students from a wide range of backgrounds. If you are interested in
learning more about the evolution of human cognition and language, and
about the many disciplines that contribute to its study, we'd like to
hear from you.

For entry into the programme in September, we strongly encourage
applicants to submit applications by MARCH 31st.

To find out more about the course, and what it will be like to live and
work in Edinburgh, go to our website. Here you will also find full
details about how to apply.

http://www.ling.ed.ac.uk/lec/elc

[Please feel free to pass on this email to anyone who might be
interested.]

--
Simon Kirby
Language Evolution & Computation Research Unit