[twill] Is twill up to date?

C. Titus Brown ctb at msu.edu
Thu Feb 11 11:45:47 PST 2010

On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 09:40:53PM +0200, ???????????? Lacrima wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I want to test my web application with twill, but it seems that twill is not
> maintained. The latest release was at December 27th, 2007, i.e. more than
> two years ago.
> So there is little possibility that we will see new features and support for
> Python 3 in future.
> Should I use it or there are other tools available for the same task (web
> application testing)?

Hi Maxim,

Well, I personally haven't been doing much Web programming recently, and
I also took on a new job and have a baby.  So that's that :).  If I do
more work on twill, apart from integrating bug fixes and patches, I would
probably add more features for working with CSS and AJAX, as that is likely
to be in my near future.

If you're looking for reasons not to use twill, then I suppose you could
argue that incompatibility with Python 3 is a problem.  But I don't think
there are that many people using Python 3 yet.

There are plenty of other tools available, but I still get regular e-mails
telling me that twill is good, easier to use and works well for a surprisingly
large number of common Web testing tasks.

cheers,
C. Titus Brown, ctb at msu.edu