[twill] twill browser object and form values

Nat Williams nwilliams at leapfrogonline.com
Mon Mar 23 07:25:29 PDT 2009

On 3/21/09 1:42 AM, "Iain Duncan" <iainduncan at telus.net> wrote:

> On Fri, 2009-03-20 at 23:25 -0700, Iain Duncan wrote:
>> Hi folks, I'm not clear from the docs how to submit form values using
>> the browser object. It does not have a method called 'fv' to match the
>> twill command set. Any help appreciated!
>>

> Ok, I figured out that I can switch to using twill commands and that
> works fine, but I think it would be nicer if one could do
>
> browser.fv( etc )
> browser.submit()
>
> Is there any chance of that happening or is twill sort of done as is
> right now?
>
> Thanks for the very useful tool!
> Iain

Iain,

There has been some development on twill recently, but nothing really
serious.  I don't know if this is quite as widely known as it should be, but
we do have a Google Code page up for Twill here:
http://code.google.com/p/twill/

Currently, there are obviously a few functions in twill.commands that don't
exist as methods of TwillBrowser, but really should.  Formvalue and follow
are the two biggest examples, I feel.  If you feel comfortable checking a
branch out of subversion and using that, the branch called something like
"twillbrowser_enhancement_issue_1" fixes this.  I just moved the functions
into the TwillBrowser object, and made the twill.commands versions just call
those methods on the TwillBrowser instance that's being created inside that
module.

I think a lot of this stuff is going to be settled at PyCon.  We're having a
Twill development sprint on Monday, and making TwillBrowser actually
functional as a standalone object is one of the main issues I'm concerned
with.

Nat

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTE
The document(s) accompanying this e-mail transmission, if any, and the e-mail transmittal message containing information from Leapfrog Online Customer Acquisition, LLC is confidential or privileged. The information is intended to be for the use of the individual(s) or entity(ies) named on this e-mail transmission message. If you are not the intended recipient, be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents of this e-mail is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please immediately delete this e-mail and notify us by telephone of the error.