[twill] non-ascii data?

C. Titus Brown ctb at msu.edu
Thu Mar 12 07:24:56 PDT 2009

On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 10:14:23AM -0400, Chris Abraham wrote:
-> Hi,
-> I've been wondering about how to set twill variables to non-ascii
-> values.  I have just been using just binary representations like:
-> setglobal event_name    'Flunc Test Party n ?????? N'
-> versus
-> setglobal event_name    'Flunc Test Party n \346\227\245\346\234\254 N'
-> or
-> setglobal event_name   u'Flunc Test Party n \u65e5\u672c N'
->
-> Doesn't the binary representation leave things open to
-> interpretation?  I mean, how does twill know how to decode this
-> value?  Does it assume utf-8?  Is there a way to specify what
-> encoding a particular value is in?

Those are good questions; it just treats them as Python strings being
entered on the terminal, I think, so probably utf-8.  I must admit to
being at sea on these issues...

Would it work to allow an optional unicode encoding as the last
argument?

C. Titus Brown, ctb at msu.edu