[twill] internet banking log in problem

C. Titus Brown ctb at msu.edu
Sun Aug 3 06:36:43 PDT 2008

On Sat, Aug 02, 2008 at 02:18:05PM +0000, Kristj?n Valur J?nsson wrote:
-> Hello, good Sirs.
->
-> I have been looking for a way to automate some of my online banking
-> transactions using python and came across twill.
-> But I am having trouble getting even past the login step at my online
-> banking portal:
->
-> go http://www.landsbanki.is
-> follow english
-> follow personalintenetbanking
-> fv 1 user spongebob
-> fv 1 pwd squarepants
-> fv 1 otpId1 0123456
-> submit
-> info
->
-> Now, here I would expect to get a page telling me that login failed.
-> Instead, I just get a 200 code and am still at the same page.
-> using TestGen4Web it appears I am doing things correctly (TestGen4Web
-> doesn't log anything if I press Enter at the log in form, but if I press the
-> submit button, it logs it properly.)
->
-> Am I doing something incorrectly?  Should I be using something other than
-> twill, perhaps?  I started using firebug for mozilla and enabling http
-> debugging in twill but realized that I am too much of a http newbie to
-> analyze the problem so I decided to turn to this list.

Hi, Kristjin,

I think you're on the right track; my guess is that some JavaScript is
at play, and it's probably one of two things:

1) some form variable is getting set within JavaScript, and you need to
	figure out what that variable is,

or

2) the form POST should be going to a different URL (one set by JS
	when you click on a button) and you need to reset the formaction
	URL

A cursory inspection of the page suggests that it's #2, but I can't be
sure.

What you could try is turn on HTTP debugging in twill ('debug http 1')
and then compare the HTTP traffic sent by twill with the HTTP traffic
you see in Firebug.  If you can do this and send the results (minus your
password :) to the list, we might be able to help.

There are a few other minority possibilities (user-agent checking, for
example -- try 'agent ie5' to masquerade as IE) but I think it's #2
above.

cheers,
C. Titus Brown, ctb at msu.edu