[twill] Intuitively Filling Out Forms

Terry Peppers peppers at gmail.com
Fri Sep 28 14:03:16 PDT 2007

Before Titus disappears for awhile (congrats, by the way!), I had a
question on how to better fill out forms.

Let's say we have a form like this:

<form action="foo.html" method="POST">
  <input type="text" name="first_name">
  <input type="text" name="last_name">
  <input type="submit" name="submit" value="submit">
</form>

Is there a way I can get @ the inputs without knowing the form name?
What if I want to write a function like:

def fill_out_middle_initial():
    fv(1, "middle_name", "Allen")

Twill's going to throw an exception since that field doesn't exist. I
could catch and just let go of it like:

def fill_out_middle_initial():
    try:
        fv(1, "middle_name", "Allen")
    except:
        pass # No middle name field, Bub

But that doesn't seem right to me. In fact, I think a conditional
would be better. Something like:

def fill_out_middle_initial():
    # if the field name "middle_name" exists:
    #        input a value

Ideas? Suggestions? Hints?

I was poking around with "get_all_forms()" and "get_forms()" but am
stuck @ how to look @ the forms actual attributes.