[twill] wsgi_intercept vs. twill.wsgi_intercept

Titus Brown titus at caltech.edu
Tue Dec 4 17:36:23 PST 2007

On Tue, Dec 04, 2007 at 02:47:51PM -0600, Kumar McMillan wrote:
-> now that the wsgi_intercept module lives as a standalone package
-> (http://code.google.com/p/wsgi-intercept/) it would be nice to address
-> bugs in one place.  I'm not too familiar with using wsgi_intercept
-> within twill itself, do people just import it like this:
->
->     from twill import wsgi_intercept
->
-> ?

Yep.

-> Or are people putting their twill module along their PYTHONPATH
-> somehow and doing simply:
->
->     import wsgi_intercept
->
-> (I don't see why one would need to do the latter but thought I'd ask)

Nope.

-> Should "from twill import wsgi_intercept" generate a
-> DeprecationWarning in new versions of twill?  Should it be removed
-> from twill entirely?  Also, please let me know if something is missing
-> from the current docs (see google page above) about using the
-> standalone wsgi_intercept package with twill.  I will test it out
-> myself when I get some time.

As you might guess from my inclusion of mechanize and ClientForm in
twill, I'm not so enthusiastic about removing wsgi_intercept from twill
itself.  twill should work "out of the box"; anything else and people
get frustrated.  Also, right now easy_install is too fragile to rely on,
IMO...

However, I *can* provide the wsgi_intercept module as a discrete package
and name it something like _wsgi_intercept.  I will also track the
wsgi_intercept on your site.  This lets most people simply use it with
twill, but also allows people with their own installs to replace it.
(Yep, I can provide hooks for that, too.)

I'll check over your page on using the separate module with twill next
time I get a chance to work on twill ;)

cheers,
--titus