[twill] posting without a form?

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Sun Dec 2 22:09:12 PST 2007

Titus Brown wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 02, 2007 at 04:03:46PM -0800, iain duncan wrote:
> -> Hey guys, wondering if I can do an arbitrary post from twill using all
> -> the handy shortcuts if the form I want to pretend to be does *not*
> -> exist.
> ->
> -> Ie, from a python method I want to post a set of key/vals to an
> -> arbitrary url, but use twill commands. I didn't see this in the
> -> examples.
> ->
> -> Thanks!
> -> Iain
>
> hi Iain,
>
> I don't know exactly how to do this with twill (or, more importantly,
> with mechanize -- getting twill to do it would be easy, given mechanize
> functionality). It shouldn't be too hard, however.
>
> Note that this is of great value for testing AJAX code, too.

In case you aren't sure about what it looks like, a POST form is just a
submission with a url-encode body (assuming you aren't doing file
uploads, which are harder).

In urllib/urllib2, if you do a POST you give the body as an argument,
with urllib.urlencode(form_values) as the body.  form_values can be a
dict, or better a list of (key, value) tuples.

--
Ian Bicking : ianb at colorstudy.com : http://blog.ianbicking.org