[twill] Encoding error

John J Lee jjl at pobox.com
Tue Aug 21 13:40:33 PDT 2007

On Tue, 21 Aug 2007, Chanita Siridechkun wrote:

> I try to open non-English page..(Thai)
> I got error (unknown encoding: window-874).
>
> If anyone know how to fix, please let me know.
> I will be so appreciate.

You should just have to register an appropriate codec using Python
standard library module codecs:

http://docs.python.org/lib/module-codecs.html

One way to achieve that, once you have your codec, is to put the code to
register it in your sitecustomize.py

If you're not sure how to write a codec, ask on python-list at python.org
(aka comp.lang.python).

If it really is "window-874" (singular) rather than "windows-874" (plural)
in the web page, you might want to register it under both names.  English
people understand when east asians miss off all plural "s"es, but
computers don't ;-)

John