[twill] Testing a web API with twill?

Titus Brown titus at caltech.edu
Mon Apr 9 21:03:06 PDT 2007

On Mon, Apr 09, 2007 at 08:54:56PM -0700, Ramon Felciano wrote:
-> Thanks to you and Mark for the quick response. I think this approach makes sense -- I like the idea of using yield for this type of testing. I've got the json decoding working already, so this should be easy to test. A few quick follow ups:
->
-> 1.
-> 	Is there a way to tag or otherwise uniquely identify / associate the actual test runs with test data, so that when the assertion fails, you automatically dump the appropriate parameters to help debugging?

Hmm, you'd have to build this yourself -- but it should be as easy as
making sure that your 'assert' statement produces the appropriate error
message.  (nose displays stdout/stderr on failure, so you could even
just print it.)

-> 2.
-> 	Along similar lines, is there a way to tell nose (which I assume would be the test harness framework) to log both successful and failing tests, so you can get a sort of aggregate view of where the problems lie?

It already does that ;)

-> 3.
-> 	Does nose produce any sort of HTMLized report suitable for a continuous integration framework (or at least one whose primary UI is web-based)?

Hmm, not that I know of, but it wouldn't be very difficult to write, I
don't think.  I'd offer to write it but I don't have time this week; I
could certainly give you some pointers, or at least write a short
version if you felt you needed it.

-> Thanks again. And oh, BTW, congrats on defending your dissertation :-)

thanks!

cheers,