[twill] Intel Macs and Twill

Titus Brown titus at caltech.edu
Tue Oct 17 16:28:31 PDT 2006

On Tue, Oct 17, 2006 at 10:38:06PM +0000, John J Lee wrote:
-> On Tue, 17 Oct 2006, Titus Brown wrote:
-> > On Tue, Oct 17, 2006 at 02:10:12PM +0100, John J Lee wrote:
-> [...]
-> > -> A guess: Perhaps Peri mis-read the message from easy_install explaining
-> > -> that *easy_install* (not Python) needed to be upgraded.  (S)he would have
-> > -> succeeded under 2.5 because s(he) would have got the latest easy_install
-> > -> (and not because it was the latest Python).
-> >
-> > Hi, John,
-> >
-> > that's a good guess!  But...  does easy_install come with *any* version
-> > of Python yet?  I had to install it on my own OS X machine.
->
-> No, easy_install does not come with any version of Python.
->
-> Your point being...?
->
-> Installing Python 2.5 and then installing easy_install results in a system
-> that has the latest easy_install, and so attempting to install twill will
-> not print a message requesting that easy_install should be upgraded.  A
-> Python 2.3 system that was installed prior to the attempt to install twill
-> may have had an older version of easy_install installed, in which case
-> that message may be printed.

I think that was my point ;).

So, Peri, my guess is that you somehow had an old version of
easy_install lying around... but if it was a new computer, I dunno what
happened.  If anyone else runs across this, please let me know: I want
to keep twill backwards compatible with the latest version of Python
shipped on OS X (currently 2.3).

cheers,