[twill] Twill shell can't find pp_get_title?

Titus Brown titus at caltech.edu
Sat Nov 4 09:16:18 PST 2006

On Fri, Nov 03, 2006 at 12:45:27PM -0800, Ramon Felciano wrote:
-> I reinstalled everything and found one possible problem: should twill be
-> automatically installing a preferred version of mechanize? I was a bit
-> surprised to not see anything printed to the console after the
-> "Processing dependencies for twill" line...

Yep.  twill uses a patched version of mechanize.  Recently, the patches
have decreased in number (as I've fed them back to John Lee, the author
of mechanize) but there is still one patch that is necessary to robust
HTML parsing.

At some point I'll write a detailed explanation of why the patch is
necessary, in the hopes of getting it into mechanize, but John asked me
to wait a few months to make sure that it worked well.  (It appears to:
no one has ever mentioned any problems with it.)

In any case, when I first started working on twill, easy_install was not
very well tested.  Now I feel better about relying on it to handle
dependencies...

One solution to the twill+mechanize vs mechanize situation is for me to
rename the mechanize package included with twill.  Any thoughts?

cheers,