[twill] trac & svn

Titus Brown titus at caltech.edu
Fri May 12 09:04:45 PDT 2006

Hi folks,

I'm thinking about switching twill over to a subversion archive and
setting up Trac.

My primary goal is to be able to host twill, wsgi_intercept,
and 'scotch', a new collection of WSGI utilities that includes a twill
recorder, in the same archive.  In particular, I'd like to be able to
synch releases, so that the twill recorder -- which may depend on
specific versions of both scotch and twill -- can be linked to
specific revisions in the same archive.  Ditto for wsgi_intercept.

A second goal is to set up a Trac system for both of them.  Until
recently, twill was my primary OSS project.  Now I'm starting to focus
on other things, and I'm mentally losing track of bugs.  Trac will
help keep track of the bugs and also help me set up publicly viewable
milestones and todo lists.

Third, I've made my peace with svn.  I really didn't like the agony
involved in setting up a public svn archive, and I didn't have enough
experience with svn in general to feel comfortable with it.  Both have
changed: I'm using Debian package-managed Apache2 now, rather than
compiling my own Apache setup; and I've been using svn regularly over
the last few months.  I now host a bunch of svn projects on my dev
server, vallista.idyll.org.

I'm thinking about moving twill to 'twill.idyll.org', and putting the
trac system under either twill.idyll.org/trac/ or twill-dev.idyll.org.

I'm planning to maintain a darcs mirror of the subversion archive, and
I'm also happy to grant svn check-in abilities to whomever needs them.
I'll probably restrict permissions on the Trac site to block spammers,
but it'd be open to anyone on this list, of course.

Does anyone have any thoughts or comments?

cheers,
--titus