[twill] Test apps that use Ranvier URL mapping

Titus Brown titus at caltech.edu
Tue May 9 00:02:57 PDT 2006

On Thu, May 04, 2006 at 07:30:33PM -0400, Martin Blais wrote:
-> Hi Twill'ers
->
-> I figured that since you guys are interested in automated testing for
-> web applications (and me too) I would send a link to a new project I
-> completed, that has interesting features for supporting automated
-> testing of web applications:  the Ranvier URL mapping system.

[ munch ]

-> Documentatoin about this is here:
-> http://furius.ca/ranvier/doc/ranvier-features.html

Hi, Martin,

thanks for the links!  This looks pretty interesting; it integrates
fairly well with the way I design Quixote sites.

I've been musing, on and off, about ways for twill or other Python
Web testing programs to automagically discover the URL to visit for a
test.  I've mostly thought about how to stuff the relevant info into a
docstring, so that e.g. a doctest-like approach could in fact specify a
functional Web path for testing.  Unfortunately I always get bogged down
at the point where I need to start with implementation ;).

It seems like the Ranvier code could easily work together with WSGI,
too, perhaps by layering a dispatcher on top of individual WSGI apps.
I could smoking something, though.

cheers,
--titus