[twill] ANNOUNCE: twill 0.8.4

Titus Brown titus at caltech.edu
Thu Mar 23 10:53:15 PST 2006

ANNOUNCING twill v0.8.4.

twill is a simple language for browsing the Web.  It's designed for
automated testing of Web sites, but it can be used to interact with
Web sites in a variety of ways.  In particular, twill supports form
submission, cookies, redirects, and HTTP authentication.

A twill script to use the "I'm feeling lucky" button on Google looks
like this:

    setlocal query "twill Python"

    go http://www.google.com/

    fv 1 q $query
    submit btnI     # use the "I'm feeling lucky" button

    show

(Note that using this script abuses Google's Terms of Service.  So don't.)

This is the ninth public release of twill, version 0.8.4.

You can install twill with easy_install, or download this release at

    http://darcs.idyll.org/~t/projects/twill-0.8.4.tar.gz

Documentation is included in the .tar.gz and is also online at

    http://www.idyll.org/~t/www-tools/twill/

Miscellaneous details:

twill is implemented in Python and uses pyparsing and mechanize.  In
addition to the existing simple command language, twill can easily be
extended with Python.  twill also provides a fairly simple and
well-documented wrapper around mechanize.

twill does not understand JavaScript, I'm sorry to say.

---

Significant changes with 0.8.4:

  * improved installation docs and simplified installation;

  * added link checking, requirements processing, and arguments parsing
    extension modules.

  * improved extension module handling; added extension module documentation.

  * fixed memory leaks.

  * fixed tidy problem on Windows.

  * line number of scripts printed on traceback.

  * fixed file:// URLs.

  * added option for debugging HTTP-EQUIV REFRESH code.