[twill] StringIO?

Titus Brown titus at caltech.edu
Tue Mar 21 13:34:22 PST 2006

On Tue, Mar 21, 2006 at 04:20:17PM -0500, John Mudd wrote:
-> Um, I'm able to capture the output as a string.  I was hoping calling
-> the truncate() method would reset the StringIO() thing.  Doesn't
-> though.  It just accumulates.  I must be way off base by now.
->
-> Looking for StringIO docs.  Standard Python doesn't help much.
-> Looking...  Fredrik Lundh examples.  Is this where StringIO came from?
->  Seems like it could be useful, in rare cases.
->
-> Is this really necessary?  Why not just return the output as a string
-> by default?  Let me decide if I want to print it.  Leave the
-> auto-print to twill-sh only.  Just like Python, print result in
-> interactive mode.  Return result in scripts.

Hi, John,

'StringIO' is a complete file-like replacement, but for only one of I or
O at a time.  It's very useful in lots of situations, but it isn't well
suited to your current problem!  I'm not actually sure what is --
thoughts, anyone?

The simplest solution is to just re-do the 'twill.set_output' after each
command.  Obviously that's kinda ugly.

I have to think about the implications of returning the output as a
string.  It may be pretty feasible as well as the right way to go...

cheers,