[twill] html entities and latin-1 problem

Terry Peppers peppers at gmail.com
Fri Mar 10 06:39:37 PST 2006

Michelle -

A couple of weeks back I had encountered the same exact problem with the
'latin-1' v. 'utf-8' encoding issue. I posted the issue to the list and I
caught Titus @ a bad time since he was @ PyCon. So after some digging (I
didn't even see the post from Gabor about how to correct this), I came to
the same conclusion as Gabor. At first I had tried to 'monkeypatch' a fix
into my twill script like this:

<start_sample>
import twill.other_packages.mechanize._html

def form_parser_args(
     select_default=False,
     form_parser_class=None,
     request_class=None,
     backwards_compat=False,
     encoding="utf-8"
     ):
     return get_args(locals())

twill.other_packages.mechanize._html.form_parser_args=form_parser_args
<end_sample>

Unfortunately that didn't work and I was left to editing 'mechanize's'
_html.py file which did fix my problem. I guess my remaining questions are:

1. Anyone have an idea as to why my 'monkeypatch' doesn't work?
2. Is it correct to say that this is more of a 'mechanize' issue than a
'twill' issue? And if so, what can we do to correct the problem?