[twill] Twill comments

Christopher Rasch chris.rasch at marketocracy.com
Wed Feb 15 09:44:19 PST 2006

Hi Titus,

Twill is wonderful!  Thanks so much for such a useful tool.  A couple
of notes:

1.  I had a few snags when installing twill with ez_setup.py.  I've
documented how I did it here:

http://crasch.livejournal.com/403022.html#cutid1

The biggest problem was not knowing where easy_install installed twill.

2.  In a similar vein, I would like to install twill's unit tests.
According to the instructions here;

http://darcs.idyll.org/~t/projects/twill/doc/developer.html

"...To run them, type 'python setup.py test' in the top package
directory."

Assuming I've installed twill with easy_install, what constitutes the
top of the package directory?   Or do those instructions only apply
if you've installed via the tarball?

3.  Feature request:  I'm trying to test an existing web site with a
complicated design.  It is frequently difficult to tell via visual
inspection of the html which page twill has actually retrieved.
Therefore, I would find it handy if there were an 'open' command that
opened the downloaded html in a specified external browser.

i.e. open <page> <browser>

Where <page> is a url/file and browser is a path to a browser.   If
no <page> is specified it opens the last retrieved page.  If no
<browser> is specified, it opens with the last specified browser.  If
no <page> has been downloaded yet, or no <browser> has been
previously specified, then it returns an error.

Chris